Delivering for Scotland in Europe
I was born in St Andrews, Fife, the eldest son of a farming family in East Fife where I still live. I am married to Louise and have three grown-up children.
Educated at Glenalmond and St Andrews University, graduating MA (Hons) in Moral Philosophy and Political Economy, I started my career in banking in London, New York, Milan and Edinburgh. Since 1973 I have managed a financial consultancy from St Andrews, focusing on international finance and business development in Europe.
I was elected to serve in the European Parliament as a Member for Mid-Scotland and Fife from 1979 to 1984. I returned to the Parliament in 1999 to represent the whole of Scotland and was re-elected in 2004 for a further five year term.
• Vice Chairman of Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs
• Substitute Member of Industry, Research and Energy Committee
• Member of Delegation to the Mashreq countries (Egypt, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon)
• Substitute Member of Delegation to the Gulf States, including Yemen
• Member of Delegation to Iran
• Member of the Committee of Inquiry into Equitable Life